Thursday, March 16, 2006

Everything swell in Los Altos

I'm surprised this letter from a Los Altos resident satisfied with her town's pleasantness didn't make the front page of the Town Crier, which once again managed to limit any controversy to the sports section.

The paper spent three pages on an article written by and about a group of classic car collectors who hang out in the bookstore, up until recently owned by the publisher, downstairs from the paper. (This is roughly the equivalent of me writing a story about my own water polo team and submitting it myself. Actually, come to think of it, I've done that several times).

I have to say, as steaming mad as I was about that, the full-page children's coloring contest cheered me up. You gotta love the Town Crier. Child molesters are walking around free, the city is dumping sewage into the creek, coke and heroin use is spreading among high school students, and the news is a full-page coloring contest.

That is how a paper makes money.

No comments: