Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Wasting our independence day

In Mountain View tonight, the San Francisco Symphony will celebrate the signing of the Declaration of Independence by playing movie songs for rich people. I haven't been since Bill Graham Presents, at the time owned by troop supporters Clear Channel, stopped giving out American flags to concertgoers and instead handed out Hillary Duff movie buttons.

Down here in San Diego, where I'm celebrating my dad's 60th birthday, the aging hippies in Ocean Beach are preparing for the 20th annual beach marshmallow fight. (I will have to report this out and post more info later).

And this comes via text message from Fort Benning, where 2nd Lieutenant Patrick Neal is still awaiting an honorable discharge for challenging the Army's handling of an $8,000 signing bonus recruiters promised in apparent violation of U.S. code.

"New Peaches album: Impeach My Bush."

God Bless America.

2 comments:

Kathy Schrenk said...

Is Dad one of the aging hippies?

Nemesis of Evil said...

No, like the rest of us, Dad is just aging. He grew up in Jersey, and, from what I can tell, never really liked hippies other than the one that he married.